Lewis (Ned) Tubby 1924 – 2003
From the Parish News – August 2003
Died 29th June 2003
The sad death of 'Ned' Tubby, aged 79 years, who was buried at Earsham Church on the 10th July, marks another loss in part of Denton Village history. For the best part of a century, the Tubby family has been closely involved with the life of die village. In 1932 Ned's father George (senior) moved to Denton from Markshall (near Norwich), following the death of his father Levi, to help his mother run the shop and coal business based at the house currently named 'Jasmine Cottage'. At the age of 12 Ned was helping his mother Violet and his grandmother by delivering coal with a horse and cart around the village.
Ned started work tending sheep for Alfred Todd at Hall Farm, Denton, Before moving on to become head 'Team-man' (horseman) for Basil Cheyney at Earsham Hall Farm. At this time he was courting Ethel Roberts, from 'Rose Cottage' in Manor Road, who used to help him feed the horses on a Sunday morning. In February 1951 they married as Ned was now employed by Jack and Bert Wade at Manor and Paynes Hill Farms, who offered them accommodation at one of the 'Barracks' cottages (later demolished) situated behind 'Penlea' in Darrow Green Road. They then moved to Hall Farm Cottages, Middle Road. Ned was employed with the Wade brothers until the farms were sold, when he went to work with Jack's son-in-law, Russell Hood, for the remaining 33 years of his working life in the building trade. Ned and Ethel moved to Princes Way, Earsham in 1976. He was fully retired for only 2 years when he was struck by cancer which affected his whole body, and eventually his brain. He died in All Hallows Hospital with his caring wife Ethel at his side.