During 2017 a major project to restore the Parish Church, St Mary's, was completed.
In 2016 the Parochial Church Council had announced that St Mary’s had been awarded a grant of £249,400 for urgent repairs by the Heritage Lottery Fund towards the estimated total project cost of £301,905. Detailed planning followed with assessments, surveys etc. In March 2017 work commenced.
INTERNALLY, the extensive works involved:
- The removal of all the pews and a complete replacement of all the timbers underneath which are very rotten and beetle damaged,
- Replacing all the floorboards and replacement of the original oak pews,
- The removal and repair of the stained glass South aisle west window,
- Internal plaster repairs,
- Masonry repairs to the beautiful 15th century vaulted porch and a new Parvis handrail.
EXTERNALLY, the works included:
All the work was completed in time for the Angel Festival which was held in the church in December.