Denton Parish Council History
This section covers various aspects of the history of local government in Denton, principally the Parish Council. It is hoped to eventually fill the various gaps in the data.
Details of the Council's history have been gleaned from a number of sources notably a Parish Council minute book which covers, in one volume, all the meetings between 18th April 1900 and 6th October 1970. Some "highlights" extracted from these minutes are recorded on a separate page.
Civil (as against "ecclesiastical") parish councils were established by the Local Government Act of 1884. Details of Dentons PC's activities for the earliest years are, as yet, unknown but the objective of these pages is to record any significant information that is available.
On other pages details are provided of:
- Highlights from the Minutes.
Some of the more interesting items recorded in the old PC Minutes book.
- Members of the Councils.
This page contains details of those who have served the Parish on various local authorities and as Parish Clerk.
- The Parish Precept.
Details of the sums of money raised by precept by the Council.
- The Village Directory.
An initiative that was overtaken by the advance of technology.