The Church In Denton
It is the Church Council's aim that the Church in Denton reflects the friendly and sociable character of the village. More than 25 years ago it was decided to amalgamate the Anglican and United Reformed denominations into one ecunemical church - still a rare situation in Britain.
The Church in Denton is a Local Ecumenical Partnership (LEP). The LEP is run by a single Joint Church Council (JCC), which comprises members of both constituent churches. The JCC reports to The Earsham Benefice, which covers six parishes including Alburgh, and to the Waveney Valley Ecumenical Partnership. Members of both churches worship together in church and chapel and similarly Rector and Minister conduct services in both locations.
Services are normally held in the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin on the first and third Sundays of the month and in the Chapel on the second and fourth Sundays. Everybody, of whatever religious persuasion, is most welcome. Following a long tradition, services in Denton, Alburgh and sometimes elsewhere in the benefice, are listed below. Further information is provided in the Benefice Newsletter.
- 5th March, 9.30 am - Alburgh, All Saints', Morning Service
- 5th March, 9.30 am - Denton, St Mary's, Time to Share - Family Service
- 12th March, 8 am - Alburgh, All Saints', Holy Communion, Book of Common Prayer
- 12th March, 9.30 am - Denton, The Chapel, Holy Communion followed by Bring & Share Lunch
- 19th March, 9.30 am - Alburgh, All Saints', Play and Praise All Age Service
- 19th March, 9.30 am - Denton, St Mary's, Holy Communion
- 26th March, 9.30 am - Alburgh, All Saints', Holy Communion
- 26th March, 9.30 am - Denton, The Chapel, Service
Flower and Cleaning Rotas
The flower and cleaning rotas for both the Church and Chapel appear on a Separate Page.
The Parish Church probably owes its isolated position off Danacre Road to its being built near one of the chief residences of the village in Saxon times. The western Norman tower which is clearly visible from the Alburgh Road, has been strangely restored with brick partly replacing the flint masonry, after the original round tower collapsed in the early 1500's. Its height was increased by 10 ft in 1843.
The PCC announced in 2016 that St Mary’s had been awarded a first round pass for a grant of £249,400 for urgent repairs by the Heritage Lottery Fund. This represented 82.6% of the estimated total project cost of £301,905.
2016 saw project development work with assessments, surveys and costs. Now, in 2017, the urgent extensive repairs to the church are about to be delivered.
Work will commence from Monday 6th March 2017 and the building will become a construction site.
Over the coming months while this process continues access to the church building may be restricted and at times there will be no public access at all.
Throughout this period the churchyard will remain open for visitors and family members. All visitors are encouraged to observe the progress but are asked to take note of any site notices re health and safety and make sure they are adhered to.
The main car park will obviously be taken over by contractors for supplies and vehicles.
All children must be accompanied by an adult. All animals must be kept on leads.
It is hoped to complete all the work by the end of the year.
2018 will see a year of celebrations at St Mary’s and more details on this plus progress concerning on-going renovations will appear in due course.
More information about the church including a list of rectors is provided in the History Section.
The Chapel occupies a central point in the village, at the junction of Trunch Hill, Norwich Road and Chapel Hill, and has justifiable claims to be one of the oldest non conformist chapels in Norfolk. The current building, which replaced an earlier structure, was built in 1821. Further information is provided in the History Section.
Both Parish Church and Chapel provide venues for other activities such as concerts and exhibitions and each Thursday morning the Chapel vestry becomes the Village Post Office, thus allowing villagers to draw their pensions and carry out any other postal business without having to travel further afield.
Refreshments are served during the morning by volunteers who encourage people to make their visit a social occasion.
If you wish for further details the church secretary and churchwardens will be delighted to help. The Rector, who covers a Benefice of six parishes, is based in Earsham. The Minister, who is based at Emmanuel Church, Bungay, organises the services at the Chapel.
- Rector: Revd. Chris Hutton - 01986 895423
- Church Secretary: Mrs Jean Whipps - 01986 788360
- Church Wardens:
Revd. Jaqueline Evans
– 01986 896501.
- Revd. Ruth Browning – 01379 854343.
Further information about both the Benefice and the Partnership is available from their websites referenced at the top of this page.
Records are available of all the graves in the Churchyard and around the Chapel.
Please contact the Churchwardens, see above, for the former and Mrs Hilda Thomas, 01986 788249, for the latter.
Roman Catholic Church
The nearest Roman Catholic Church to Denton is St Edmunds in St Mary's Street, Bungay.
Contact: Rt. Rev. Abbot Charles Fitzgerald-Lombard OSB, MPhil. Tel: 01986 893355
There is a branch of the British Humanist Association in Norwich.
Their Website provides details of humanist ceremonies etc.